Two injured in apartment complex fire


A woman and her son were taken to the hospital with injuries after a fire at a Seymour apartment complex Friday evening.

The Seymour Fire Department was called at 5:41 p.m. to an apartment at O’Brien Manor at 475 S. O’Brien St. They arrived on scene four minutes later, according to the department’s incident report.

Investigators believe the fire was unintentionally set by a candle burning in a bedroom of an apartment on the third floor and caused about $33,000 in damage.

When firefighters arrived, they entered an apartment filled with heavy smoke and found a bed on fire in a bedroom in the northwestern corner, according to a report from Battalion Chief Eric Roll.

About 75 gallons of water were used to put out the fire, according to the report. Firefighters then used fans to clear smoke from the apartment complex.

Courtney Entrekial, who lives in the apartment, and her son were taken to Schneck Medical Center in Seymour with burns to the arms. An update on their condition or whether they have been released was not available.

Entrekial told firefighters she had lit a candle on a television stand in the room. She said she left the room for a few minutes and heard a smoke alarm going off.

Entrekial returned to the room and found a bed and headboard on fire, according to the report.

A fire alarm also sounded throughout the building, and all other occupants evacuated the complex. No other injuries were reported.

Firefighters were on the scene until 7 p.m.

Roll, Capt. Cory Acton, Lt. Chris Connell, Inspector Mark Gillaspy and firefighters David Carmichael, Clay Hackman, Shane Busby, Matt Montgomery, Andrew Wolka and Mitch Noelker responded to the fire.

No posts to display