Beck’s Mill will celebrate 209 years of milling from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at the historic site, 4433 S. Beck’s Mill Road, Salem.
The Corydon Dulcimer Society will begin the celebration at 11:30 a.m. with folk songs.
Adult admission will be $2.09, and children age 16 and under are admitted free with a paid adult admission.
Moonshine reenactors, blacksmiths and other crafters and craft vendors will set up shop in the parking lot area.
Mount Tabor Christian Church will provide a free meal while supplies last, and birthday cake will be served.
The first milling occurred Aug. 28, 1808. The mill became a tourist attraction by a family tradition that was performed every year on the closest Saturday to the date of the first “grind.” It was tradition to drain the dam to clean it of debris.
In the early 1900s, Essie Beck Allen (fifth generation) still continued this tradition even though the Beck’s business had slowed down. The families of Washington County were interested in the mill and found this cleaning day a great opportunity to have a picnic and enjoy the mill.