Grants available for nonprofits serving Hoosier veterans


The Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs recently announced it will award grant money to nonprofit organizations throughout the state that assist veterans with a variety of services.

Solicitation for awards through the Grants for Veterans Services is open through May 15. Eligible applicants must be a nonprofit organization registered with the Indiana secretary of state. The organizations must use the money to help veterans in any of the following areas:

-Prevent veteran suicide

-Work to eliminate homelessness

-Prevent near-term homelessness

-Provide assistance concerning safe and secure living conditions

-Provide assistance for veterans moving from public housing programs toward home ownership or long-term rental status

-Provide assistance in finding available state and federal resources

-Provide therapeutic services

-Provide on-the-job training and job search assistance

Through the program, the IDVA plans to award grants ranging from $10,000 to $100,000 depending on the volume of eligible applicants, applicants’ needs and the availability of funding.

“IDVA’s previous GVS awards had a focus on all critical veteran needs, such as therapeutic services, housing and homeless services, connecting veterans with their state and federal benefits and job training and job search assistance,” said Dennis Wimer, IDVA director. “This year, we are excited to continue that work in addition to providing grants that will concentrate on suicide prevention.”

All applications, procedures and documentation should follow Indiana Code, Indiana Administrative Code and Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs policies. Applications are due by 5 p.m. May 15 and must be emailed to [email protected]. The grant period of performance will begin July 1.

GVS may only be used to provide services to veterans who reside in Indiana, who have served in any branch of the armed forces of the United States or their reserves, in the National Guard or in the Indiana National Guard and have not received a dishonorable discharge as evidenced by a DD-214 or National Guard Bureau Form 22.

Information and a link to the application can be found online at

No posts to display