INDIANAPOLIS — Construction work could finally begin this summer on a planned new casino in Terre Haute although state officials have put off approval of financing for the project that has faced delays and forced ownership changes.
A Hard Rock International executive told the Indiana Gaming Commission on Tuesday the casino’s groundbreaking could happen in late June or early July, with an opening by fall 2022.
Hard Rock has reached an agreement with Lucy Luck Gaming, the new casino’s ownership group, to operate the new facility near Interstate 70 on Terre Haute’s east side. Hard Rock is also operating the new casino that opened in Gary earlier this month.
Gaming Commission members, however, voted to delay consideration of the Terre Haute project’s financing until their next meeting on June 24. They said the commission was waiting on financial information from some Lucy Luck partners before approving a renewal of the casino’s license.
Casino officials had a year ago outlined a construction plan for opening it in September 2021. The Gaming Commission, however, forced two top executives to give up their ownership stakes in the project amid a state investigation into allegations of financial wrongdoings by them.