Despite many asking for police funding nationwide to be lessened, the Jackson County Sheriff’s Department has been awarded a grant to provide it with necessary funding to expand the department.
The Community Oriented Police Services, or COPS, grant totals $250,000 and will be used to pay for the salaries and benefits for two new officers. The grant will cover approximately 75% of the total costs, while Jackson County will have to pay the other 25%.
This will be over a three-year period. After that time, the county will be asked to assume the total cost of the officers’ salaries and benefits.
The plan was unanimously approved by the Jackson County Council during a July 15 meeting.
Jackson County Sheriff Rick Meyer took to his Facebook page to release a statement about the decision.
“The safety of this community is of the utmost importance, and I appreciate the support of our county council to unanimously approve these new officers,” he said.
Meyer also spoke about the importance of such grants.
“Proactively seeking out grants allows us to leverage our tax dollars to better protect and serve our community,” Meyer said.
The addition of two more officers will bring the county to 19 full-time merit deputies. Meyer said during his time as sheriff, he has expanded the department by adding three additional full-time positions and one part-time position.
Meyer said the plan is to utilize one of the new officers as a school resource officer for Medora and Crothersville schools, which currently do not have one. Until a new officer is hired, a current officer will be trained and utilized in the role.
The department is accepting applications for the position of merit deputy until Aug. 10.
Applications can either be picked up at the Jackson County Sheriff’s Department, 150 E. State Road 250, Brownstown, or printed from the sheriff’s department website, jacksoncountysheriffin.org, under the Links and Resources tab.
Applicants must be at least 21 years old, be a high school graduate or have a GED, possess a valid driver’s license and be able to pass a criminal background check.
The hiring process may include all or some of the following: Physical agility test, written examination, department review board, background investigation, merit board interview and voice stress test.
[sc:pullout-title pullout-title=”At a glance” ][sc:pullout-text-begin]
To apply for a merit deputy position with the Jackson County Sheriff’s Department, pick up an application at the department, 150 E. State Road 250, Brownstown, or print one online at jacksoncountysheriffin.org under the Links and Resources tab.