Crothersville Town Council member named nuisance officer



A new Crothersville Town Council member has taken over the duties of nuisance officer.

Jamy Greathouse was unanimously chosen to assume that position during a recent council meeting. He takes over for Bob Lyttle, who chose not to run for re-election to the council in the November 2019 general election.

According to the town’s nuisance ordinance, the officer may be the police chief or a police officer, the street superintendent or a person designated by resolution of the town council. In the past, the police chief, deputy clerk-treasurer and council members have been nuisance officers.

Conditions considered to constitute public nuisances include fallen tree stumps, dead trees, cut brush, fallen or cut limbs; boxes, inoperable appliances and household items that are not kept completely enclosed in a building; demolition remains; and open excavations, uncovered or improperly covered holes, whether lined or unlined, and dirt piles on any open or unfenced real property within the town.

Also, accumulated garbage and trash, automobile parts, disassembled automobiles, automobiles without engines, tires, plumbing and piping material and parts, scrap metal, unseaworthy or dilapidated boats and dilapidated, deteriorated or inoperable jet skis, snowmobiles, motorcycles, bicycles, trailers, mopeds or toys, any of which are not kept completely enclosed in a building.

The ordinance also includes structures defaced with paint or wording; any portion of real property or personal property that emits an unwholesome odor; any real or personal property on which a condition exists that constitutes a public health hazard; and property that attracts or may attract rodents, insects or domestic or wild animals in such a manner as to create a health hazard or unsanitary or dangerous condition.

Grass, weeds or other rank vegetation growing to a height exceeding 8 inches also is a part of the ordinance.

The full ordinance may be viewed online at and clicking on Chapter 91: Nuisances.

If the nuisance officer finds that a nuisance exists, they should serve the occupant of the property and the property owner (if different from the occupant) a written citation and notice to abate the nuisance. The notice should be sent by personal service or by certified mail.

If the nuisance is not abated as directed and no request for hearing is made within the time prescribed, the town may abate it and assess the costs against the violator. Additionally, the violator will be responsible for all fines, attorney fees and other expenses incurred by the town.

Anyone receiving a citation may have a hearing before the town council in order to determine whether a nuisance exists. A request for a hearing must be made in writing and delivered to the clerk-treasurer within five calendar days after the issuance date of the citation and notice to abate. The hearing will be heard before the town council, which will determine if a nuisance exists.

If a nuisance is found to exist, it shall be ordered abated within a time reasonable under the circumstances. A judgment of violation entered against the person could be between $75 and $2,500.

Upon failure to pay the fine within seven days, the original fine will increase by $20 per day for a maximum of five days.

No posts to display