Report: Boy died after ingesting methamphetamine


A toxicology report released Thursday revealed an 8-year-old Seymour boy had 180 times the lethal limit of methamphetamine in his bloodstream when he died June 21, police said.

That report showed Curtis Collman III had 18,000 nanograms of methamphetamine in his bloodstream, said Jackson County Detective Tom Barker.

A lethal amount is 100 nanograms, he said.

It unclear how much methamphetamine Collman consumed at his father’s Seymour home, and Barker said the toxicology report does not show that amount.

“We don’t know that answer, but it’s a lot,” he said.

The boy died at Schneck Medical Center in Seymour after police were called to his grandparents’ rural Crothersville home. The boy had been in the care of his father, Curtis Collman II, who had custody.

The 41-year-old was charged with neglect of a dependent causing death, a Level 1 felony punishable by 20 to 40 years in prison with an advisory sentence of 30 years upon conviction.

Collman is scheduled to stand trial on that charge at 8:30 a.m. Dec. 4 in Jackson Circuit Court. He also will faces charges of pointing a firearm, intimidation, possession of methamphetamine, failure to register as a sex offender and theft during that trial.

Police said the boy had spent the night of June 20 with his father. The boy ingested the methamphetamine, police said, and became ill sometime on the morning of June 21. His father later took him to his grandparents’ home, and at some point, he became unresponsive.

Collman never sought medical treatment for the boy and tried to prevent others from calling 911 to help him, according to court documents. A family friend eventually made the 911 call.

Collman appeared for a bond reduction hearing Thursday afternoon in Jackson Circuit Court.

Judge Richard W. Poynter took his request under advisement. Collman’s bond initially was set at $50,000.

Poynter is expected to rule on it today or Monday.

No posts to display