The Hayden Historical Museum’s summer hours began Memorial Day and will remain in place until Labor Day, Sept. 3.
The museum at 6715 W. County Road 20S will be open from 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays and from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays.
Visits by civic organizations, clubs, Sunday school classes and others may be arranged by calling 812-592-8445 or emailing [email protected]. A room is available for meetings that can be conducted as part of the visit.
The museum features a research library and an exhibit area with several different displays to highlight Hayden and Spencer Township’s heritage. The exhibits include a gallery of agricultural leaders, a pre-1900 bedroom, a 1939 kitchen, a 1965 living room, a mid-1950s school classroom, a salute to veterans from the community, a display about the eight pro baseball players from Hayden and an area to honor former Indiana governor and Hayden native Edgar D. Whitcomb.
A monument, dedicated in 2014, to Whitcomb can be found in the side yard of his homeplace. It highlights his life and career as a World War II veteran, a politician and his sailing trip around the world.
The museum’s largest exhibit is a Sinclair gas station, built in 1926 on U.S. 50 in Hayden. It moved to the museum property in 2001 and restored to look much as it did in 1947.
A separate building named A Place Called Yesterday is a museum for home entertainment before electricity. Several various music parlor instruments and players, along with an almost complete collection of Life magazines are on display for visitors to enjoy seeing.
For information about the museum, see its Facebook page.