Commissioners hire new Jackson County EMS director

The search for a new director for Jackson County Emergency Medical Services led county commissioners back to a familiar place — the people who staff that agency.

On Tuesday, they hired paramedic Nate Bryant of Seymour as just the second director of the ambulance service that started operations Jan. 1, 1991, with four ambulances — one each for Brownstown, Crothersville and Seymour and a backup in Seymour.

Bryant, who is replacing Seymour resident Dennis Brasher, inherits an organization that now maintains four staffed ambulances that operate 24 hours seven days a week. Those ambulances are housed at two stations in Seymour and stations in Crothersville and Brownstown. The agency also maintains one staffed non-transport response vehicle.

Brasher, who retired Aug. 7, worked for Jackson County EMS for 30 years. In 2019, his annual salary was $63,716.

Bryant was born and raised in Seymour and has worked for Jackson County EMS as a paramedic since the summer of 2006.

About 15 to 20 people were considered for the ambulance director position.

Background and experience is a big plus,” said Jackson County District 2 Commissioner Bob Gillaspy on the appointment of Bryant.

Commissioners President Matt Reedy called Bryant “a great asset to the county.”

Jackson County EMS has an operating budget of $2,491,678 for 2020. According to its website, 95% of the budget is covered from runs made, and taxpayer money provides the remaining 5%. Jackson County EMS is overseen by a board that meets monthly. That board participated in the hiring process.