Student artwork sought for nationwide competition

You should know

Student art sought for nationwide competition

The annual nationwide art competition to encourage high school students from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories to showcase their artistic abilities has begun.

To enter, students must hand-deliver or mail a flash drive with a high-resolution photo of their entry along with a typed student release form to Ninth District Congressman Trey Hollingsworth’s Jeffersonville or Franklin office no later than 5 p.m. April 15.

Local artists and individuals from across the district will judge the competition. The judges’ scores will be worth 80 percent of the overall score with the number of “likes” each submission receives on Facebook representing the other 20 percent.

One entry will be chosen to represent the Ninth Congressional District of Indiana and will hang in the U.S. Capitol for one year as part of an exhibition showcasing outstanding artwork from across the country.

The competition was started in 1982 so members of Congress could recognize and encourage the artistic talents of their young constituents.

For a list of the rules and guidelines, visit or email [email protected].