The American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life of Jackson County event leadership team and participants will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday at MainSource Bank, 1130 E. Tipton St., Seymour.
All participating teams should send at least one representative to meetings, and all team members are encouraged to attend. T-shirt distribution is from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. May 1 at the bank.
The 2017 Relay for Life of Jackson County, “Lights! Camera! Relay for a Cure!” is from 6 p.m. to midnight May 5 at Seymour Middle School.
This year’s Survivor Celebration will be that night following the caregiver lap. Registration opens at 5 p.m., and the survivor lap is at 6 p.m., immediately followed by the caregiver lap. Local survivors are encouraged to register online on the Relay Stars survivor team at relayforlife.org/jacksoncountyin to guarantee a correctly sized survivor T-shirt.
Teams are seeking donations and sponsorships. The deadline for sponsors to be listed on the event T-shirt is April 10. A $1,000 sponsorship earns a company logo, and $500 earns a name listed on event participant T-shirts. Participants must raise $100 and be registered by April 10 to be guaranteed a T-shirt.
Teams also are encouraged to select a movie theme for their event campsites. Teams and movies announced so far are Bloomin’ Librarians, “Star Wars;” Caring Hearts, “The Wizard of Oz;” ESA One Step One Miracle, “Rocky;” and Immanuel Cancer Warriors, “Trolls.”
Upcoming fundraisers are:
- March: ESA One Step One Miracle homemade ice cream sales to be delivered April 21
- March 25: Relay Warriors Caring and Sharing selling Rada cutlery, Marion-Kay spices, a small inventory of Magnabilities and crafts from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1925 in Seymour
- April: Trinity Trekkers trash bag sales
- April 1: Relay Warriors Caring and Sharing from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Pewter Hall in Brownstown
- April 8: ESA One Step One Miracle Craft Day from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Community Foundation of Jackson County; Relay Warriors Caring and Sharing from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Rockford United Methodist Church north of Seymour
- April 9: Relay Warriors Caring and Sharing from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Hotel Indigo in Columbus
- Through April 10: Bloomin’ Librarians Egg My House Easter egg sale and delivery April 15
- April 22: Bloomin’ Librarians rummage sale and Relay Warriors Caring and Sharing from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Parking Lot Pickers in downtown Seymour
- May 13: Relay Warriors Caring and Sharing from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Brown County 4-H Fairgrounds in Nashville
Relay for Life is the American Cancer Society’s signature event dedicated to increasing awareness and raising funds to fight cancer.
Teams of family, friends and co-workers take turns walking the track.
During the event, participants and visitors have a chance to celebrate the victory of area cancer survivors during the survivor lap, remember those who have lost their battle to the disease during the luminaria ceremony and participate in the fight back ceremony that gives everyone a chance to proclaim their way of taking action against the disease.