Three Seymour residents received degrees Feb. 11 from Western Governors University during the school’s 32nd semiannual commencement ceremony at Disney Coronado Springs Resort in Orlando, Florida.
The three and their degrees are:
- Sarah Scheidt, Master of Business Administration in health care management
- Rhiannon Castetter, Bachelor of Arts in interdisciplinary studies (K-8)
- Melanie Burgess, Master of Science in nursing-leadership and management
Three North Vernon residents also were among the 11,000 graduates receiving degrees:
- Sandra Kirchner, Bachelor of Science in nursing
- Shirley Davisson, Master of Science in nursing-leadership and management
- Kristen Fletcher, Master of Science in nursing-education
During commencement, the online nonprofit university recognized 6,982 undergraduates and 4,476 graduates who have completed their degrees in business, information technology, K-12 teacher education and health care, including nursing.
About 1,000 graduates were able to attend.
Students who were not able to attend the ceremony in person were able to watch the event via live video stream on WGU’s website.
Established in 1997 by 19 U.S. governors with a mission to expand access to higher education, the university now serves 79,000 students nationwide and has more than 75,000 graduates in all 50 states.